Real men....cowboys...manly men...gentlemen...someone like our dads...Do you know what type of man I am talking about? Sure you do. I am sure at one time or another you have come across at least one in your lifetime. My father was one of them and I have even dated a few in the past. However, it does seem that you see them less and less. What is up with that? Has the species died off? Are they all married? Are they all gay and married? Are they all priests and that is why we don't see them around anymore? Hey that just might be the answer... it just came to me as I was saying it...Hmmm will make a note of that one and keep that in mind for later. I wonder if these types of men are even being produced anymore, that very well could be a good reason for the shortage. I am not saying that there are not any out there; because I know they are out there…I just would like to know where in the hell they are!!
To me a “real man” would consist of the following attributes:
• Sensitive, Caring, Compassionate, Kind, Warm, Understanding, Communicative, Hardworking, Good listener
• Manners (please, thank you, excuse me,)
• Open doors (includes car doors)
• Pull out your chair
• Kill bugs while doing it quickly and not tormenting the woman
• Compliment the person you are with
• Doing most of the driving
• Being able to fix/repair things inside/outside of the home and if unable to do so, be 100% ok to pay for someone else to do it
• Carry the bags. Should bring in the groceries, carry the bags when out, luggage, etc and shouldn’t have to be asked to do so
• Never, ever make you have sex…because then that is exactly what it is, SEX not love
• Know that there is a difference between loving someone and being IN love with someone
• Know that there is a difference between having sex and making love
• Not afraid to show /express feelings and emotions
• Ability to be empathetic and sympathetic
• Animals and children like him and he likes them
• He knows how to give and take
So there is my “list” of what I think makes a manly man, real man, cowboy, a gentleman. I could probably go on and on and list many little details but I think this really encompasses it for the most part.
My dad pretty much fit this description. Now, don’t get me wrong, he was by no means perfect, but he did have just about all of the above. I have dated a few guys that have had a few of the qualities that I mentioned above but never several.
I really think it has a lot to do with the way children are raised now days. (Don’t worry I won’t get started on that topic, I could be here all damn week!!). It is so different from when my parents were growing up. There was usually a mom at home and family meals every night (we did that when I was growing up), the T.V. programs were totally different, there were no video games and most of the time families spent a lot of time together. You just don’t see that much anymore. I am not pointing any fingers nor am I getting on that soap box, because like I said I would be here for the week just on that subject!
So what characteristics would you put in your list?? Would you take any off of my list? I would love to hear your ideas on this topic.
For everyone out there that is still looking for a “real man”, I wish you the best of luck in finding “that one”. I am trying not to give up, however it is difficult at times… but I keep telling myself there still have to be a few out there right? Oh...God, I hope he hasn’t joined the priesthood yet!!!