WHIP IT ~ another movie review

Have you heard of this movie? I don’t even remember seeing this movie advertised. Then again, don’t quote me on that either. The last time we watched a Netflix movie one of the movies it advertised was Whip It. It caught my eye, and I put it in the queue. So glad I did.



This movie was directed by Drew Barrymore. I don’t know about you, but I have always liked her. She is full of piss and vinegar and very smart. She also played a part in this movie. This movie is about a young girl trying to find her way and in that process falls in love with Roller Derby. Maybe I found it to be so much fun because I have always (secretly) wanted to be a Roller Derby Chic! Ha ha… I know get your laughs out now. Could you imagine me on the track? To think years ago, I practically lived at the rink. I loved it and thought I would always skate. Ok... back to the movie.


The main character is played by Ellen Page; she became big after her role in Juno (I am assuming you all have seen this one, if not… watch it!). She was also in another movie, Homeless to Harvard. If you like true stories, this a great one. Although she does not play the main character, it still is a great movie.


There are actually a lot of well known people in this flick. Drew Barrymore, Ellen Page, Marcia Gay Harden, Juliette Lewis, Eve, and Jimmy Fallon are all in this movie. Jimmy is almost unrecognizable. He has one of those voices that you can place anywhere and since he is the announcer at the derby, he makes his character well known. I have always gotten a chuckle out of the great “names” that the derby girls have, and in this movie they are just as good.


This movie is almost a coming of age for a young 17 yr old girl and her family as well. This is placed in the south with all of the traditional “southern belle” expectations and Bliss (the main character) throws that all out the window and she does it so wonderfully.


Hope you get a chance to watch this movie as well. Would love to hear what you think of it as well.

Comments